What’s your go-to chocolate cake recipe? This cake made with super-lush ingredients like Dutch cocoa powder, hazelnut meal, extra virgin olive oil and orange zest for a hint of citrus. Word of warning: you’ll never want to make any other cake EVER again! Whip one up for a special occasion, or enjoy a slice as a decadent Sunday afternoon treat.
Serves: 8 to 10 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes
50gm Dutch cocoa powder + extra, to serve
2 tsp vanilla extract
150gm hazelnut meal (or almond meal)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 orange, finely zested + extra, to serve
Pinch of salt
150ml extra-virgin olive oil
200gm caster sugar
3 large free-range eggs
Crème fraiche or mascarpone, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Grease a 20cm springform pan with olive oil and line the base with baking paper.
2. Sift cocoa powder into a bowl and whisk in 125ml (1/2 cup) boiling water until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla extract and set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the hazelnut meal, bicarbonate of soda, orange zest and salt.
4. Place the olive oil, sugar and eggs in a large bowl and beat with an electric hand blender on high for 3 minutes or until mixture is pale and resembles thickened cream.
5. Reduce the speed to medium-low and pour in the cocoa mixture, beating continuously. Once combined, add the hazelnut mixture and stir gently with a spatula.
6. Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until sides are set but centre still looks slightly damp.
7. Cool cake in tin for 10 minutes on a wire rack, then remove cake from tin and set aside to cool.
8. To serve, dust with cocoa powder and sprinkle over extra orange zest. Serve with crème fraiche or mascarpone.
Recipe by Charlotte Ree for Williams-Sonoma